Ah, summer is here. The temperatures are soaring, the sun is blazing, and the days are long. It’s important that you take the time to maintain your home this summer and to prepare it for the extreme heat that you could be facing. If you’ve been scouring the internet for Alameda dryer vents cleaning, chimney services, or fireplace installation, look no further. Check out our ultimate checklist of summer home maintenance tips to help you give your home some TLC, and learn how our experts at The Irish Sweep can help!
Indoor Summer Home Maintenance
- Do a test of your smoke detectors. Replace the batteries if needed.
- Get your cooling system ready. Replace the filter in your air conditioner.
- Get your chimney cleaned. Yes, you might not use your fireplace again until fall or winter, but that’s exactly why this is the perfect time to call a chimney cleaning service. They won’t be as busy!
- Reverse the direction of the ceiling fan if necessary. During summer, use your ceiling fan in a counterclockwise direction – this directs airflow down to create a cooling effect. Take the time to dust the fan blades, too!
- Clean the garbage disposal. When’s the last time you tackled your garbage disposal? Exactly.
- Take on some decluttering. Why not take the chance to go on a Marie Kondo-style decluttering spree?
- Clean your dryer vents. Professional dryer vent cleaning services help your dryer work more efficiently, use less energy to do its job, and extend its lifespan. Clogged dryer vents are also a fire hazard.
- Be aware of material shortages due to the pandemic. Reduced fabrication of certain appliances due to restricted access to materials is an unfortunate side effect of the coronavirus pandemic. If you have considered installing a gas or wood burning insert to your fireplace, begin the process now! Retailers and installers recommend starting renovation now to avoid a long wait for materials.
Outdoor Summer Home Maintenance
- Clean your grill to prep for summer barbequing. Use hot water, dish soap, and a scrub brush to clean a charcoal grill. For a gas grill, close the lid, turn the heat to high, and let the grill cook for about half an hour. Let it cool, then use a grill brush to sweep the grill and clean the drip trays.
- Consider your watering schedule. If you’ve got plants, think about your strategy for watering them over the summer.
- Add a layer of mulch. Also, some extra mulch will help fight off weeds and help your soil retain moisture during those scorching summer months.
- Protect your home against unwanted guests. Caulking your windows and doors can help stop bugs and ants from infiltrating your home.
- Don’t forget the pool. If you have a swimming pool, take the time to give it a good clean so it’s all ready for the summer.
- Consider an outdoor clothesline. Take advantage of the warm weather and put up an outdoor clothesline so you’re not using your dryer as much.
- Put a sturdy mat at the door. Help your guests avoid tracking in dirt by having a good mat at your front door.
Need Alameda Dryer Vents Cleaning?
So, there you have it – our summer home maintenance tips. The above list will help you clean up and take care of your home this summer. Preventive home maintenance can even help you save money on home insurance, and it’s never too late to start!