Of all the modern luxuries, clothes dryers are perhaps the most useful and convenient – until you open the lint trap and see two weeks’ worth of extremely combustible fluff. If you don’t take care of your dryer properly, it can become a fire hazard just waiting to happen: nearly 3000 dryer fires happen every year due to clogged dryer vents, costing an estimated $35 million in property loss, hundreds of injuries, and five deaths. Professional Alameda dryer vents cleaning is the best way to prevent dryer fires and extend the life of your appliance. So, how does Alameda dryer vents cleaning work? In this blog post, we’ll outline the process of Alameda dryer vents cleaning and our other pro tips for dryer safety and fire prevention.
Why Does My Dryer Need Professional Cleaning?
Your dryer vent is one of the most important parts of your dryer – and yet, it’s often one of the most neglected. Your dryer vent, exhaust duct, and lint trap collect lint every time you use your dryer. This is perfectly normal and should be expected – but it can also be dangerous if ignored. Over time, that lint can build up and cause problems.
Lint buildup reduces airflow, and reduced airflow causes your dryer to work harder and run for longer periods of time. This not only wastes energy but also puts unnecessary wear and tear on your appliance. As flammable lint continues to build up, it starts to block the exhaust vent. When this happens, hot air has nowhere to go but back into the dryer – and that’s when things start to get dangerous.
Here are just a few of the risks associated with a clogged Alameda dryer vents:
Risks of clogged or obstructed Alameda dryer vents include:
- Dryer fires. When lint buildup in the dryer vent becomes too great, it can cause a fire. Dryer fires usually start with a spark from the heating element igniting lint in the exhaust duct.
- Injuries. Dryer fires can cause injuries – even fatalities. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, there were an estimated 30,500 dryer fires in the U.S. between 2012 and 2017. These fires resulted in 1040 injuries and sixty deaths.
- Property damage. In addition to causing injuries, dryer fires can also cause property damage. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that dryer fires cause an average of $35 million in property damage each year.
- Negative health effects. Clogged dryer vents can also cause negative health effects due to the buildup of carbon monoxide and other fumes. When these fumes are released into the home, they can cause respiratory problems, headaches, dizziness, and even death.
- Mold and mildew growth. When humid air can’t escape, it leads to moisture buildup – and that moisture is the perfect environment for mold spores to thrive.
- Increased energy bills. As we mentioned, lint buildup causes your dryer to work harder. This not only wastes energy but also drives up your utility bills.
- Shortened dryer lifespan. All that extra work takes a toll on your dryer, causing it to break down prematurely.
So how can you prevent these risks and keep your dryer running safely and efficiently? The best way is to have your dryer vents professionally cleaned on an annual basis. Professional dryer vent cleaning involves clearing out the lint trap, exhaust duct, and vent – removing all the built-up lint that’s putting your dryer at risk.
How Does Alameda Dryer Vents Cleaning Work?
So – how does dryer vent cleaning work when you hire professionals? When you schedule professional Alameda dryer vents cleaning services, a technician will come to your home and thoroughly clear out your dryer’s lint trap, exhaust duct, and vent.
Inspection. The technician will start by disconnecting your dryer from the power source and removing the exhaust cap from the outside of your home. Then, they will inspect your dryer, lint trap, exhaust duct, and vent to identify any potential hazards.
Lint trap cleaning. The first step is to clean out the lint trap. The technician will remove the lint screen and use a vacuum attachment to clear out all the built-up lint.
Exhaust duct cleaning. Next, the technician will disconnect the exhaust duct from the back of the dryer and use a vacuum attachment to clear out all the lint inside.
Vent cleaning. Finally, the technician will clean out the vent – removing any lint or debris that’s accumulated there.
Once all the lint has been removed, the technician will test your dryer to make sure it’s running safely and efficiently.
Prevention is Key: Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
In addition to professional Alameda dryer vents cleaning once a year, there are some things you can do to reduce the risk of a dryer fire in your home. Here are some tips:
- Clean the lint screen after every use. The lint screen is located inside the dryer, and it’s easy to forget to clean it. Every time you use your dryer, take a few seconds to remove the lint screen and clear away any lint that’s accumulated.
- Don’t overload your dryer. Overloading your dryer puts unnecessary strain on the appliance and increases the risk of a fire.
- Don’t use your dryer without a lint screen. Even if you clean the lint screen regularly, there’s always some lint that gets through. Using your dryer without a lint screen allows that lint to accumulate in the vent – which can eventually lead to a fire.
- Don’t dry wet or damp clothes. Drying wet or damp clothes in your dryer can cause lint to build up more quickly. If you have any wet or damp clothes, hang them up to dry instead of using the dryer.
- Keep the area around your dryer clean. Lint can accumulate quickly, so it’s important to keep the area around your dryer clean. Vacuum or sweep regularly to remove any lint that’s accumulated on the floor.
We hope this post answered your question “How does dryer vent cleaning work?” By following these tips and having your dryer vents cleaned professionally once a year, you can help prevent a dryer fire in your home. There’s nothing like the feeling of clean, warm clothes fresh out of the dryer – except for the peace of mind that comes with knowing your dryer vent is safe, clean, and able to perform its job well.
Schedule An Alameda Dryer Vents Cleaning Services
The Irish Sweep specialists can get deep into your vent system where most household cleaning methods can’t reach, so you can enjoy a safer and more effective system for years to come. Our top priority is safety and we customize our services with our client’s best interests at heart. Enjoy clean dryer vents now! To schedule an appointment with an expert, call us at (510)521-4088, or use this simple contact form by clicking here.