The Forgotten Danger in Your Home

carbon monoxide poisoning, hidden danger in your home, safety

 

Some call it the hidden poison. Many still don’t have a detector for it. It is the most common cause of poisoning death in the United States. It causes about 500 deaths and 15,000 visits to the emergency room annually due to unintentional poisoning. Seniors can be impacted the most due to other medical issues. It is preventable through a detector. Carbon monoxide is this danger in your home, and it can be avoided.

 

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause illness and death. CO is produced whenever any fuel such as natural gas, propane, gasoline, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. Devices that produce CO include cars, boats, gasoline engines, kitchen stoves and ovens, barbeques and heating system. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces.

 

How do your recognize CO poisoning?

At low levels, a person exposed to CO will notice headaches and trouble breathing after some moderate exercise. Regular or severe exposure to carbon monoxide will lead to flu-like symptoms. Some of these include but are not limited to severe headaches, dizziness, tiredness, nausea, confusion, irritability, and impaired judgment, memory and coordination. Should the above signs not be addressed, then it is possible for carbon monoxide to lead to death. This is why it is sometimes called a “silent killer”.

 

How to Tell the Difference between CO Poisoning and the Flu

While symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to those of the flu, you may not realize that CO is impacting you. The following are the ways you can connect the symptoms with carbon monoxide:

  • The symptoms are more pronounced when you are at home
  • Multiple people get the symptoms at the same time. The flu usually spreads it over time
  • Whoever spends more time at home has more severe symptoms
  • When any device that emits CO is used, the symptoms are worse
  • The impact can be on indoor animals too. The flu generally does not pass to pets.
  • Your body has no achiness.
  • You have no fever or lymph node swelling

 

Prevention

  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm on each level of your home.
  • Have an inspection done of your heater and fuel burning appliances each year.
  • Do not burn fuels inside your home.

Should you have any questions or need your annual inspection done on your dryer vent by our certified expert, contact Sal at the Irish Sweep.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

The Irish Sweep is one of the most trusted Chimney Cleaning Company that cleans, inspects and repairs fireplaces and chimneys, sells and installs gas inserts. We also provide Dryer Vent Cleaning Service and the best team for different areas such as: Alameda Chimney Cleaner, Berkeley Chimney Cleaner, and Orinda Chimney Cleaner. Find the chimney cleaning services near you from The Irish Sweep known for the best Chimney Cleaning and Dryer Vent Cleaning service provider across USA. We have a large pool of chimney sweeps who provide the best service near you and always ready to help. Contact us today for chimney cleaning services around you.